Looking to block your half? These FIFA 22 CBs will do just that
Central defender is hardly the most glamorous position in football, let alone in FIFA 22, but if you find the right mix of pace, athleticism, and chemistry, a solid defense can allow you to focus on other areas of your team.
Identifying the right players to position at the heart of your defense will be a little more complicated this year. Last time, the community noticed that fullbacks were often more effective outside of fullback chemistry, so pure CBs were few and far between in competitive setups until Team of the Season brought in max pace options.
For, FIFA 22, the EA Sports reduced the defensive awareness stats of full-backs, meaning that they (at least in theory) will be much less effective when played out of position at center. Fortunately, there are many good CBs in the FIFA 22, and if you happen to be running French players in other positions, then you're definitely in luck, because most of the best are French!
Here are the best defenders in FIFA 22:
- Virgil van Dijk (Netherlands): VVD's absence due to injury last season coincided with a FIFA in which he was not a meta. FIFA 22 might be a different story and it certainly has everything you want: pace, strength and fantastic defensive stats.
- Raphael Varane (France): A goal choice for years, Varane's move to Manchester United will only make him more desirable.
- Aymeric Laporte (Spain): Slower than we'd like, but Laporte's defensive stats are impressive. Note that he is now Spanish!
- Ruben Dias (Portugal): Man City VVD? His impact on Pep's team was certainly transformative, and his Portuguese links are great for hybrids.
- Joe Gomez (England) His reputation as a cheap beast in FIFA 21 will likely continue after one season due to injury. Best option in English unless Kyle Walker gets another CB on the form!
- Davinson Sanchez (Colombia): A good starter option for Premier League teams, although his connections in Colombia mean he's tough for hybrid teams.
- Ibrahima Konate (France): He cost Liverpool a package in the summer and may not play much with VVD, Gomez and Matip fit, but Konate is a strong and flexible option for Premier League starters or hybrid teams.
- Sergio Ramos (Spain): He's not as fast as he used to be, but Ramos' defensive stats mean he's unlikely to get caught out of position very often.
- Presnel Kimpembe (France): One of those cards that always feels a little pricey to us, Kimpembe gets the job done, but look for an upgrade when you can.
- Jason Denayer (Belgium): Cheap and cheerful, the Belgian Denayer is always useful at the start of French league play.
Roblox code list
V Rising Building Guide: How to Build a Castle in…
The Best Weapons in V Rising: A Guide to All Weapons and…
- Kalidou Koulibaly (Senegal): permanently Linked to a great move that never materializes, Napoli's central defender is the Rolls Royce of Serie A defenders.
- Matthijs de Ligt (Holland): It's still strange that he chose Serie A over other leagues after he emerged from Ajax, but when he puts our hybrid together and commands powerful strikers in FUT Champions, we don't complain.
- Kostas Manolas (Greece): One of the fastest Serie A options, although its links with Greece are limiting.
- Clement Lenglet (França): Budget Varane is now the best French centre-back in LaLiga, and his weak four-star foot means he can play for both sides.
- David Alaba (Austria): Not the fastest player despite his background as a full-back, Alaba's new card for Real Madrid is a strong pick, with a weak four-star foot as well.
- Diego Carlos (Spain): Another LaLiga defender with a weak four-star foot, Diego Carlos' links to Spain mean he is a more flexible choice than his peers.
- Jules Kounde (France): When you're reading this, he may be a Chelsea player, but in either case he seems destined for greatness. He is already underestimated in FIFA.
- Lucas Hernandez (France): O southpaw Lucas Hernandez is a strong option early in the game and his ties to France are obviously very useful for the hybrids.
- Dayot Upamecano (France): A Strangely low acceleration means Upamecano won't be of much use after a few months, but so far he's Bayern Munich's second-best French centre-back.
- Lukas Klostermann (Germany): Faster than his face stats would suggest, thanks to strong sprint speed, Klostermann is a good quarterback for beginners. Just don't ask him to do anything else!
So there you have it, the best defenders in FIFA 22. If you want to build your team to be a Weekend Rivals beast, be sure to check out our guides on the best. FIFA 22 goalkeepers , the best FIFA 22 wingers and more.